What is the best looper pedal
Looper Pedals and Loop Stations for Guitar: The Ultimate Guide
Create your own backing track: This is no problem with loopers for the electric guitar: The effect devices offered in pedal form make it possible to repeat short played phrases and to play over your own sound yourself.
We introduce the different variants of loop stations and give you important tips and tricks for the effect. Of course there is again our top 5 best looper - for beginners and advanced users!
With the loopers, too, we want to go into the technical fundamentals of the effect before we start using the pedal in practice. Here is the most important information about the looper pedal.
What is a looper?
A loop station or looper is an effects device for electronic musical instruments. The looper are often offered as pedals (so-called stomp boxes) so that guitarists can operate them comfortably by foot and keep both hands on the instrument.
The way a looper works is quickly described: A short, played-in phrase is recorded using "Begin" and "End" and played back immediately after the recording.
The "loop" created in this way, ie a kind of continuous loop, is played back and can then be overwritten - your own background track has been created.
How does a looper work?
Basically, the Looper Pedal works like a kind of mini-recording station: The played signal is recorded 1: 1, copied and replicated, i.e. played back.
The continuous loops produced in this way can be superimposed several times, depending on the model, and entire "sound stacks" can be created. Especially when polyphonic guitar sounds are to be produced, but only one guitarist is present, a great tool for practicing and composing!
Looping stations in practice
Let us now come to the actual use of the Looper and its areas of application. Not only electric guitarists use this effect, but we mainly focus on the purpose of using looper for electric guitar!
Areas of application
Looper can be used in two ways: as a stylistic device to make your own guitar sound more varied and complex, or as an aid for composing and practicing certain parts or improvisations.
Solo guitarists or singer-songwriters like Ed Sheeran or YouTube guitar teacher Paul Davids in particular use the looper effect to provide their own riffs and solos with suitable background music.
Songs that (can) be played with a looper
Looper pedals are mostly popular in live use, after all, the effect can be designed and recorded much easier in a studio. Nevertheless, there are some songs that can be played and rehearsed particularly well with the help of a loop station:
- One - Metallica
- Dosed - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- The Thrill Is Gone - BB King
- Baba O’Riley - The Who
- Hotel California - Eagles
- Almost every song by - Russian Circles
Operation of a looper
Loop stations for electric guitar are usually called Pedal effect (stompbox) executed to enable operation while playing. The different operating modes are triggered by additional switches, controllers or triggers.
Depending on the effects device, the equipment of the looper can differ considerably from one another. However, one thing unites all loop stations and these are the following Functions:
Record: The loop is started using the "Record" function. Depending on the setting, the recording function of the looper is activated directly when the switch is pressed or according to a preset
Interval: Pressing the function again ends the recording and starts playback - the loop has started.
The effect volume controls how much the recorded loop can be heard during playback. If the volume is at 100%, the loop sounds just as loud as the newly played parts that are above the loop. Most of the time the loop itself will take place in the background, so that the volume is lowered a little (to around 60-80%).
Many loopers offer the option of not just creating a single loop that is then played over, but also of stacking a large number of continuous loops on top of each other. In this way, real soundscapes can be “played out” within a very short time - like a house of cards, however, they can just as quickly collapse if one of the tracks is not entirely in sync. Because then the loop stack has to be rebuilt, i.e. re-imported.
Difference from other effects
Looper work in a similar way to delays or reverbs: the entire signal is copied and played back. However, the loop stations do not stop their playback and do not let the signal "slip out" (often called decay or fade-out). Instead, they run in continuous loop mode until the loop is either stopped or replaced by another shift.
By the way: Who in the looper a cheap Recording alternative searches shouldn't rely on the looper's ability to absorb. Although they save the phrases played, it is often not possible to export the sound - the loop remains trapped in the Loop Station!
Buy recommendations - our 5 favorites
Finally create your own loops and play them on your own backing track! No longer a problem with loops. Here are our five tips for beginners and advanced users.
Entry-level class: Looper for less than EUR 90
Looper are inherently one of the more expensive effects devices - but there are also good entry-level pedals to be found here. We have two particularly good and affordable entry-level pedals for you:
XVive D3 Duet Looper
The XVive digital loop station offers all the important functions of a looper in a very space-saving metal housing. The recording time of up to five minutes is more than sufficient for common songwriting applications. With a separate chorus and circuit connection, several layers can be built up and complex loops can be created. And all for less than 50, - EUR!
tc electronic Ditto Stereo Looper
- Highly intuitive looper pedal built for guitarists expands on the classic DITTO LOOPER with stereo I / O and loop import / export
- Stereo inputs and outputs for major setup flexibility - you can even plug in 2 instruments
- Export loops to PC or Mac * to work with in your DAW, and import complex backing tracks into the looper to impress on stage
- 5 minutes of looping time with unlimited overdubs and undo / redo for total creative freedom
- True bypass allows for optimum clarity and zero high-end loss when the pedal is off
Last update on 05/21/2021 / Affiliate Links / Images from the Amazon Product Advertising API
The Ditto scores with absolutely intuitive operation and professional workmanship. The narrow dimensions mean that the looper can be placed on almost any pedalboard, and the metal housing cannot be impressed by the tough use on the stage.
Five minutes of loop memory, Tru-Bypass switching and loop import / export functionality tops the package off. For less than 100, - EUR a real price-performance hit!
Advanced class: Looper up to 200 euros
More functions, more extensive equipment and a plus in terms of operation and sound - this is what our loop stations deliver in the advanced area. Here are our recommendations up to EUR 200!
Boss RC-5 Loop Station
- Somewhere in the world a live musician is overriding the limits of music with a loop pedal. From the headliners at the Glastonbury Festival to the next singer-songwriter insider tip at any open mic contest - musical border-crossers of every genre have always been drawn to the possibilities of the loop and re-shaped the basic concept to create their personal vision realize. Looping has never been more popular.
- The RC-5 is the newest member of the renowned BOSS Loop Station family.
- The new pedal loopers based on various next-generation BOSS technologies have 32-bit AD / DA conversion and 32-bit floating point calculation, integrated rhythms, phrase memories for loops, backlit screens and much more.
- 13 hours of stereo recording on one track as well as extensive external control options via foot switch, expression pedal or MIDI.
- 57 inspiring rhythms - each with A / B variations - to accompany looping excursions. 7 built-in drum kits for a variety of musical styles.
Last update on 05/21/2021 / Affiliate Links / Images from the Amazon Product Advertising API
Even with the loopers, the effects professionals from Boss cannot be missing! The classic, red looper can be found on hundreds of thousands of pedalboards and with good reason: With up to 13 hours of recording time, programmed drum kits, reverse function, illuminated display and many more features, the Boss RC-5 is a real all-rounder.
Guitarists need a little longer to fathom all functions, but with a price of less than 200 EUR they get a real all-rounder that also meets the highest sound demands!
tc electronics Ditto X2 Looper
The professionalized version of the Ditto offers advanced loopers a wide range of features, but does not lose any of the ease of use of its little brother. The unlimited possible overdubs are particularly interesting for guitarists who want to create their own sound universe. Five minutes of recording time and an extremely handy, clever 2-button layout make use absolutely intuitive. The Ditto X2 is a very successful improvement of the classic Ditto - and a bargain for just over 100 EUR!
Professional class: Loop Station for over EUR 200
Of course, more is always possible. With our tip for all looping enthusiasts, a completely different profile comes into consideration!
Red Panda Tensor
With the Tensor, the American high-end effects company Red Panda offers a really excellent looper pedal for professional use - whether in the studio or on stage.
While many competing products in this price range rely on manual operation because the range of functions is too high, the Red Panda can still be conveniently controlled by foot. At well over 200, - EUR the pedal costs a lot of money - functionality, sound and versatility still make the Tensor our favorite looper on the market!
Bonus tip: This is how a loop station is connected in the effects chain!
Sure, there is no prescribed order for any effect on the board. The way a loop station works, however, does not give you much freedom of action: At the latest when you want to loop all other effects on your sound, the pedal belongs at the very end of the chain.
So the looper can duplicate all changing effects and you can add or remove effects when you play your overdub without affecting your loop. If the looper is still at the beginning, all subsequent effects will also influence the loop - this is of course allowed, but it does not correspond to the way it works!
Advertising notice for links with asterisk (*)
The links to Thomann and Amazon are so-called affiliate links. This means that if you buy something on the linked website, we receive a small commission. This has no influence on how we rate a shop or a provider. We only recommend providers that we really stand behind. There are of course no additional costs for you! However, you are helping us and this project.
- Which two subscription boxes would you recommend
- What is Scrum Board
- How do I structure my Go projects
- Why are anti-aromatics less stable than non-aromatics
- Can permanently cure homeopathy seizures
- Lumps in the neck can cause headaches
- How do we implement a microprocessor
- Why are eunuchs abandoned by their parents
- How many copycats in China became successful
- Can a collector hold an Infinity Stone?
- What use is the Django architecture
- What is the purpose of the seal
- What is TRT in BPO
- How do i speed up my phone
- What are the best counterpoint duets
- Why are traitors called moles?
- What are some alternatives to Spyfu
- How do I write a business budget
- What is indexed data structure
- How long does it take to cure HIV
- How much is 500 units of blood
- Which scheme is good in ICICI Prudential
- Is Python AI different from Python
- What does inner-Asian mean