How do I get girls into college

Cookie policy

History of Heidelberg College

Heidelberg and the British, that always fit.

It is written at the beginning of the 19th century when a small English colony emerged in Heidelberg, especially in Neuenheim. Above all, the beautiful location is said to have impressed the English from the best of circles at the time.

Neuenheim College

When the British founded Neuenheim College in 1843, young upper-class Englishmen were to receive their education here and get to know the advantages of the British and Baden educational systems. The noble men import all the sports from the island for which Heidelberg is still known today: rugby, rowing, hockey, tennis and athletics. At that time the school building was between Quincke and Keplerstrasse, except for the language teachers, all the teachers came from England. There are large football and cricket fields behind the dining room.

The school was officially named Neuenheim College in 1891 under Lionel Armitage. But the school has to struggle to survive, because at the turn of the century the number of students dropped to around 30.

Foundation of Heidelberg College

Among the teachers is a certain Dr. Albert Holzberg, who on January 1, 1887, together with his colleagues A.B. Catty and Walter Lawrence found Heidelberg College, right on the banks of the Neckar. This is the hour of birth of our current school, and the three students are well looked after with four teachers. Dr. Holzberg and A.B. Catty finally bought the name of Neuenheim College on April 5, 1906 for £ 1,000. Heidelberg College takes over all the remaining students, the tradition of Neuenheim College is now being continued in Heidelberg College. The college remained an English school with a high reputation until the First World War; when the war broke out, the boarding school was fully booked for several years.

But the war destroys everything that has been built up in almost 30 years: all students and most of the teachers are no longer wanted and leave the school. FROM. Catty's shares are confiscated by the state, Albert Holzberg has to bid for them publicly. While bitter fighting is taking place at the front, the school building serves as a military hospital with a makeshift operating room, which is located in the washroom of the gym.

When teaching resumed with seven students in 1917, Heidelberg College was no longer an English school, but a secondary school with boarding students from all over Germany. In 1919 the upper secondary school was added, making the college a full institution. In 1940 the college received state recognition, by which time students had to take their high school diploma outside of a state school.

An English school between two world wars

It was also turbulent under the Nazi dictatorship: First the school had to rename itself to Dr. Albert Holzberg's higher education and educational institution, the school is closed in 1944 and a year later the Americans occupy buildings 16 and 16a, and there is a reason: the college had been used by a Nazi school in between. Only in 1955 did the owners get their school back. The Americans not only remove valuable furniture, they also collect the state recognition of Heidelberg College.
In 1946, the scientific Springer publishing house moved into house number 24 in today's boarding school. Dr. Edgar Holzberg, who returned from captivity in 1947, worked for Springer as a general agent in advertising until 1957, thus ensuring the family's economic survival. School founder Albert Holzberg dies in 1949, and the current headmaster Edgar-Julian Holzberg is born in the same year.

In 1955 Springer-Verlag moves out again, the building has long since become too small for the expanding publisher. The Americans no longer confiscate anything either, they get a large building in the southern part of the city and release buildings 16 and 16a again. In the economic wonderland of the FRG, boarding school places are now urgently needed, in houses 16 and 24 a student dormitory is being established. In 1957 there were already 78 students living there, but they also had to attend other state schools in Heidelberg.