What do the Magento plugins do
Install Magento extension
Magento extensions are one of the most important things to be able to extend the functionality of your own Magento shop. There are currently over 3430 extensions on the Magento Marketplace. There are also numerous Magento extensions that are offered on other platforms. This tutorial shows how to manually install a Magento extension for your own online shop via FTP and Magento Connect.
What I should consider before installing a Magento extension
Before installing an extension for every conceivable scenario, you should think about a few things in advance. Here are a few clues for that:
- Do I really need the plugin or is it just nice-to-have? Not only that it can lead to problems of individual modules with each other, also with every Magento update it must be ensured that all extensions work with the new version.
- Can the extension provider be trusted? If you trust the provider that they have not built malicious code or backdoors into the code, you can install the extension without hesitation.
- Do I have any performance losses by installing the extension, as it requires a lot of resources?
Install Magento extension manually via FTP upload
In the first step you download the desired extension / module. Usually this is a ZIP archive that you load locally on your computer and unzip there.
Next, load the unzipped folder into the root folder of your Magento shop. This will not overwrite any existing files, only add new files to the folder structure.
After uploading, log into your Magento administration area to update the cache. Go to System> Cache Management. Select all of the caches and perform the “Refresh” action and submit it.
Navigate to System> Configuration. If you can see the expansion tab, it is installed properly. If you now get the message “Access denied” when you click on the extension tab, you have to log out of the admin area and log in again.
Install the Magento extension with the Magento Connect Manager
The most convenient way to install an extension is to do this via the Magento Connect Manager integrated in the Magento backend. However, there can be reasons not to do this at the moment. Andreas von Studnitz explained in his blog post “Why you shouldn't install modules via the Magento Connect Manager” under which circumstances it makes sense not to use the Magento Connect Manager.
To install an extension via the Magento Connect Manager under
- System> Magento Connect> Magento Connect Manager
re-enter the admin credentials. In the “Extensions” tab, in the “Install New Extensions” section in point 2, enter the access key from the Magento Marketplace (formerly Magento Connect). To get the key click on the Magento Markeptlace page of the extension on “Add to cart” and then go to the checkout. Enter your payment details and your address there and complete the purchase.
This procedure also applies to free (0.00) products, but of course no payment method has to be specified here.
After a successful purchase you will see a brief overview of the module. By clicking on “Install” you get to the overview of the access keys, divided into two tabs with “Magento 1” and “Magento 2”.
Copy the access key (in my example for Magento 1) and paste it under “Install New Extensions” in point 2. Then click on “Install”.
After a short loading time, you will see a table with “Extension dependencies”. Now click on “Proceed”.
The page automatically scrolls all the way down and displays a console. With “Refresh” you update the page and complete the installation. With “Return to admin” you get back to the Magento backend.
Install Magento extension with SSH
You can also install a Magento extension with the SSH console. To do this, switch to the root folder of the Magento installation using the SSH console.
Then run the following code in the terminal:
Please replace the variables REPO and PACKAGE_NAME with those of the respective extension.
SebastianI am interested in eCommerce topics, especially in connection with the Magento Commerce shop system as well as everything to do with web development and the associated possibilities.
- What's wrong with being a lawyer
- What are the two branches of Congress
- What is the best band saw for resawing
- Is estrogen necessary for men
- Are there any mobile soccer hacks from FIFA
- What is the best Niagara Falls tour
- How do I OCR a PDF
- Benzoic acid is hydrophobic
- What drives the economy
- Which artist sang the song Magic Touch
- Is ET money reliable
- Which IIMs are better suited for advice
- Should I outsource customer service to India
- What is the most efficient recreational drug
- Do your dietary supplements claim to increase energy
- An economics degree is useful in consulting
- How am I supposed to invest 2000
- Will cosmetics ever be cheaper?
- Did your parents smoke
- Is natural gas the future
- What can philosophy teach machine learning?
- Microeconomics is important for executives
- What is Mitt Romney's Endgame 1
- Schools should have a hair policy