How would you summarize the 2010s
The best game of the 2010s?
Bigger, wider - and more networked: You can summarize many developments in the gaming industry so casually. The 2010s were a decade in which open world games reached a new level of grandeur. Seemingly endless opportunities for discovery, numerous missions and side quests that fill umpteen hours of play alongside the main storyline, as well as the freedom to explore every corner of the game world.
The best example of this is Nintendo's magnum opus, "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild". Described as one of the best games of all time - also by DER STANDARD - the "Zelda" part brought a breath of fresh air into a somewhat outdated game series and into the open world genre. As early as 2013, "GTA V" showed what an open game world should look like. Likewise, "The Witcher 3" and 2018 "Red Dead Redemption 2" showed the full playful and technically impressive dimensions of this format.
An opposite development to this are mobile games, compact games that can be played quickly on the way to work. The genre would be inconceivable without "Candy Crush", the addicting puzzle game. "Pokémon Go" triggered a worldwide hype that is unparalleled in the summer of 2016 - people still run in parks or to sights to catch Pokémon or take part in raids.
The 2010s were also the time when online games apart from "WoW" experienced their boom. In 2011, for example, "Minecraft" was released, which has meanwhile replaced "Tetris" as the best-selling game of all time. The indie game, in which there is building and fighting, was voted the best game of the last ten years by "Polygon". What made "Minecraft" great is the collective play, which years later found its continuation and preliminary climax in "League of Legends" and in the battle royal game "Fortnite".
And indie games were also convincing across platforms and genres: pearls such as "Celeste" or "Stardew Valley" have shown that not everything has to be huge and extensive in order to be successful. The decade was also a good decade for small and quiet games. (rec, November 20, 2019)
More best-ofs on the 2010s theme
- Why does Google make Chromium
- LPU is a good choice for trading
- Which company offers software for retail?
- How Much Does a Bluewater Sailboat Cost
- What does my dream mean 10
- What does white garbage mean for you
- How should you deal with criticism
- How is NIFT Kolkata FC
- What should I wear to a funeral?
- Can you get bigger teeth
- Who struggles with the law of attraction
- How safe is Lavabit
- How many copycats in China became successful
- What is the main password on a Mac
- How can genetics improve your learning
- Lagos Nigeria is ideal for tourism
- What do you think of Adventure Time
- Probiotics help with gluten intolerance
- Students can get a loan for bicycles
- Has Google stopped hiring in the foo bar
- Does Kim Kardashian have a hip-bearing child?
- Do I have to have sex?
- What should all mechanical engineering students know
- Let the FBI be independent