Fatigue can lead to injuries
Psychiatry, Psychosomatics & Psychotherapy
Concussion: Symptoms can only appear hours later
After a head fall or bump, dizziness, nausea and headache are clear signs of a concussion (commotio cerebri).
“Typical symptoms of a concussion can only occur 6 to 12 hours after the accident and should always be seen by a doctor. A loss of consciousness from a few seconds to a few minutes as well as a memory loss for the time immediately before or after the accident also indicate a concussion. The emergency doctor should always be called in the event of these complaints, ”advises Dr. Frank Bergmann, Chairman of the Professional Association of German Neurologists (BVDN) in Krefeld. The typical symptoms of a concussion (e.g. loss of consciousness, nausea) are caused by mechanical irritation of the nerve fibers, which can be associated with a temporary loss of function. Doctors also speak of a slight traumatic brain injury in the case of a concussion.
In the case of head injuries, there is always the risk that the accident victim will lose consciousness one more time and be additionally injured by another fall. “The person concerned should lie down with his upper body raised until the emergency doctor arrives. At all times, someone should check the victim's consciousness and talk to him calmly. Under no circumstances should the person concerned be left alone in this situation, ”emphasizes Dr. Miner.
Since cerebral hemorrhage or brain contusions can occur as a result of a traumatic brain injury, it is often necessary for those affected to be medically monitored in a clinic 24 hours after the accident. “If there are no serious injuries, the patient can then be discharged home. The main aim of the treatment is to alleviate the symptoms through physical rest and the administration of light painkillers and medication against nausea, ”explains Dr. Miner.
A concussion usually heals without any consequences, but it should be taken seriously as it can lead to complications under certain circumstances. “In some cases, a so-called“ post-commotional syndrome ”occurs after a few weeks. Those affected can then suffer from dizziness, fatigue and headaches. Psychological symptoms can also occur, such as depressive moods, fear, forgetfulness, concentration disorders and irritability, ”reports the neurologist. However, these symptoms usually gradually regress completely after a few weeks, and only rarely do they turn into a chronic state.
(äin-red) This press release or parts of the article can be printed under the following source: www.neurologen-im-netz.org. In the case of publication in online media, the source must be linked to this home page or to a subpage of the patient portal. Photos and images may not be used as a matter of principle.
- What does Trump symbolize
- How attractive is intelligence
- What are the challenges with CRM tools
- Want to welcome Bengali Bengali immigrants
- What can you see in a CPU
- How do I meet like-minded friends
- Fareed Zakaria knows the Hindi language
- What is a global SIM card
- What is your healthy drug
- Which presidential candidates for 2020 will be popular
- How does Ranchi compare to Jamshedpur
- Why has manned space travel advanced so slowly?
- What use is the Django architecture
- What are the chords for this song
- Really happening flying cars
- Is Miami a good city for dating
- Did the Jews invent capitalism?
- What's the best of luck
- How do you connect two telephones together
- Is the BITSAT admission ticket 2019 out
- How do you pull yourself out of the darkness
- What is the Russian word for meanwhile
- America is basically a puritan society
- Twitter has a copyright for hashtags