What is acidity and basicity
to directory mode
Alcohols: acidity and basicity
Similar to water, alcohols are both weak acids and weak bases. They can both take up and release protons. The self-dissociation is weaker than that of water.
Accordingly, protonated alcohols (oxonium ions) are very strong acids and deprotonated alcohols (alcoholates) are very strong bases. The acidity of alcohols is defined like that of inorganic acids:
Compared to the typical inorganic acids such as HCl or H2SO4 or carboxylic acids such as acetic acid are alcohols very weak acids:
- Tab. 1
- Acid strength of alcohols
Methanol and ethanol are just as strongly acidic as water. tert-Butanol is an even less strong acid, i.e. the conjugate bases methanolate and ethanolate are similarly strong bases as OH-, while tert-Butanolate (CH3)3CO- is about 2 orders of magnitude more basic.
In the laboratory, these bases are usually produced in a reaction immediately before they are used by dissolving metallic sodium in an excess of the corresponding alcohol.
tert-Butanolate is also commercially available in its pure form (white powder). Not only is it more basic than methanolate (MeO-) and ethanolate (EtO-), but because of the bulky tert-Butyl group is also less nucleophilic. It is mainly used when nucleophilic substitution is to be suppressed as a disruptive side reaction compared to deprotonation.
Phenols are stronger acids than methanol and ethanol. The negative charge in the anion can be delocalized over the benzene ring, thereby stabilizing the phenolate ion:
- How can I develop the project idea
- Who is the best AC repair service
- May Galactus beat the Heavenly Ones
- How are your cats a problem
- What is meant by EQ and IQ
- What are some interactions of society
- Should I end this difficult relationship
- What is a sandstone made of
- All good musicians are automatically good singers
- Does the tenant insurance cover both roommates
- Which memories are easiest to remember?
- How was the Koran collected and kept?
- Why can't spaceships use airports?
- What's wrong with being weird
- What would life be without modern technology?
- How do Maronites differ from Catholics?
- Why did Donkey Kong kidnap the princess?
- Why do we lose consciousness in sleep
- Are there really swans in Swansea
- What leads to the body
- What if hell dogs were real?
- What are some interesting facts about kissing
- What is the significance of the supply frequency
- Do you hesitate in an interview
- Why is the Windows Phone over now
- What is Chronic Parenchymal Disease
- Why are trade schools rare
- How is chlorine used
- What are the ancestors of animals
- If this sentence is correct, I am afraid
- What's the excitement of taking risks
- What is the most popular post on Instagram
- Can robots be programmed to say prayers?
- What is the best way to learn kitesurfing