My mouse touchpad is not responding, please help
Laptop touchpad doesn't work: you can do that
The laptop starts up, you want to open a program or your browser, but nothing happens. The pointer on the computer doesn't move a millimeter. And what's next? If the touchpad isn't working, you can try to fix the problem yourself first. UPDATED shows you how to do this and which other devices can take over the functions of the touchpad.
One possible cause of a non-working touchpad on the laptop is that it is disabled. This can happen even if you use the laptop every day. Because with one simple key combination it can be switched off. It is therefore possible that this happened accidentally.
Switch on the touchpad via the keyboard
You can also reactivate the touchpad just as quickly as you can turn it off using the keyboard:
- In the toolbar at the top of your keyboard, find an icon that could represent a touchpad. A line may be drawn through the symbol.
- Tip on it, depending on the laptop, possibly in combination with the Fn key.
- The touchpad symbol should then appear on the screen. If this is not crossed out, the touchpad is activated. If there is a symbol with a line through it, press the buttons simultaneously again to activate it.
After that, the touchpad should work again. If it doesn't, or if you can't find the touchpad icon on your keyboard, you have another option to try to activate it.
Activate touchpad in settings
In addition to the keyboard, the touchpad can also be switched on and off via the task manager. However, for this it is necessary that you a mouse to the laptop connects. You can then find the appropriate setting in just a few steps:
- Type in the lower left in the system tray search Control panel a.
- Under Highest match should the Control panel appear, click on it.
- A window will open. In it click on Hardware and sounds.
- Then click below Devices and Printers continue on mouse.
- In the following window you should see the touchpad on the tab Device settings find. Click on it and then on Activate.
- Then click on OKto confirm activation.
Please note: If the touchpad cannot be found in the system settings or if it cannot be switched on, the cause may be in another area. It could be about an outdated driver be responsible for preventing your touchpad from working.
Replacing the touchpad with a mouse: There are these types
Not all mouse is created equal. If you are looking for a new pointing device, you can choose between different features, each with their advantages and disadvantages:
- Mechanical control: Works through a ball on the underside and is rarely found. It is the only mouse that can also be used on glass surfaces. But the ball needs regular cleaning.
- Optical control: Is steered by a light emitting diode. This works well on many surfaces, but the mouse has difficulties with glass or surfaces that are too smooth.
- Laser control: Has a laser diode instead of the light emitting diode. This makes the mouse more precise and versatile than the optical one. Instead, it reacts faster to impurities.
- Without cable: Works via bluetooth or infrared. The annoying cable is no longer necessary. The mouse is prone to malfunctions or delays and can only be operated by rechargeable batteries or batteries.
- With cable: Is powered by the computer and therefore does not need to be charged. However, the cable is often a nuisance.
You will also need a mouse to check the driver. If this is connected, the update works like this:
- Right-click the Windows icon in the lower left corner of the system tray and then left-click Device manager.
- A window will open. Click on the arrow next to it Mouse and other pointing devices.
- The touchpad should be visible in the drop-down menu that is now displayed. Double click on it.
- A window for the touchpad settings opens. In it, click on the tab Driver and up Update driver.
The System will now guide you through the update. When this is finished, you can test again whether your touchpad works again. If this is not the case, the driver software may be fundamentally defective and should be restarted.
- To do this, choose the Device manager after right-clicking on the touchpad select the point Uninstall.
- Then restart the computer and go back to the Device manager. Right click on the touchpad and select Install driver.
- Follow the instructions and finish the installation.
Then test again whether the touchpad works again with the newly installed driver. If it still doesn't work, you can assume that the touchpad is actually defective is. Then the question arises as to whether it should be repaired.
Touchpad is defective: what to do?
Indeed, if it looks like the touchpad is broken, there is not much you can do. Repairing it yourself is usually not an option. Instead, the following options remain:
- Replace touchpad with mouse: The easiest way is to permanently connect a mouse. There are special models for laptops that are smaller than others and therefore do not take up much space.
- Have your laptop repaired: The main thing here is whether the guarantee still exists. If so, you can probably get the touchpad repaired for free. Otherwise it is important to weigh up the costs.
Preventing mistakes by protecting and caring for them
Once the touchpad is defective, the best treatment is of no use. If you got it working again or are you planning to buy a new laptop, the correct use of the touchpad can help to keep it intact for as long as possible.
Among other things, it is important that you use the touchpad carefully. Usually A light touch is enough out to operate it. Hard typing, as you might do when clicking the mouse, is usually not necessary.
Likewise, one spares regular cleaning the touchpad. You can easily do this with a microfiber cloth. Make sure that the cloth only slightly damp so that no water can run into the laptop. If cleaning agents are necessary, they should be as mild as possible. After cleaning with a damp cloth, it is best to wipe carefully with a dry cloth.
Get the touchpad working again in just a few steps
It can quickly happen that the touchpad on the laptop no longer works. For example, it is possible that it was accidentally deactivated. But also a outdated or defective driver may be responsible if the touchpad stops working. In these cases, you can Fix the problem yourself with little effort. It becomes more difficult if there is actually a defect in the touchpad. Then only experts can help. However, the question arises whether it is worth investing in a repair.
Disclaimer OTTO (GmbH & Co KG) assumes no liability for the correctness, topicality, completeness, effectiveness and harmlessness of the information and recommendations made available on updated.de. It is expressly pointed out that the official manufacturer's specifications are to be observed with priority over all other information and recommendations and only these can guarantee a safe and proper use of the respective purchase items.
- Why can't I get onto Fortnite
- Are car images copyrighted by automakers
- What is the future of smartphones
- What is a magnetization curve
- When will we go into World War III?
- Formal education is supposed to be boring
- Which country has the largest Hindu population
- What can you not put a price on
- How malleable are memories
- How to say pesticide in Portuguese
- Which sport is the most developed
- What is tax terrorism 1
- What is the name of someone from Taiwan
- What is the most misunderstood thing about Guru
- How do I use LinkedIn
- Can i sell stencil art
- Do you think everyone deserves clean water
- Are SpaceX and NASA beef
- Does the Diabetes Killer really work
- How do you start retirement
- How much skipping rope do boxers do
- Where does grass come from on earth
- PremiumDNS is worth it
- How strict is too strict 2